Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Stripes

I am fascinated by artists who can do stripes - simple stripes! - that are compelling.  Taking a simple idea, one of the simplest of patterns, and making it rich with subtlety.  Here are a few examples from artists I admire.

Take a look at Kathleen Waterloo on Pinterest.  Here are a couple of her stripe pieces:
Kathleen Waterloo

Kathleen Waterloo
I am particularly in love with the way Jylian Gustlin works stripes into her vessel pieces:
Jylian Gustlin

Jylian Gustlin

Jylian Gustlin
Daniella Woolf does beautiful stripes in encaustic; and Leonard Ragouzeos in his teeny tiny gouache pieces:
Daniella Woolf (this is a screen shot, thus the word "next" in the upper left).

Leonard Ragouzeos

Here is one of my first attempts to do a large (large for me, 22"x30") piece in stripes:
"Stripes, Yellow", my work, 22"x30"
This piece, "Stripes, Yellow", is now available as a print on Fine Art America, along with forty more pieces of this scale.  Take a look at the new uploads!

12 comments:

  1. I love this new direction and soooo love this new piece! It's one I have needed to study for years, but have never taken the time except to be fascinated when I see others doing it to study colors. I am going to make it a point to visit each one of the artists you featured here-- their pieces are so rich.

    Two I've followed in my past quiltmaking life are Nancy Crow and Michael James- both well worth checking out (sorry for the lengthy links):

    Nancy: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1088&bih=614&q=nancy+crow&oq=nancy+crow&gs_l=img.3..0l9j0i5.4087.10822.0.13349.10.9.0.1.1.0.368.1749.0j6j1j2.9.0....0...1ac.1.58.img..0.10.1762.yzAAkI0PEz4

    Michael: https://www.google.com/search?q=michael+james+studio+quilts&biw=1088&bih=614&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GHpaVIW6E9e5ogT65ILIAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gads, sorry, I didn't realize that links aren't enabled. If you would like to see their work, you can do as I did and input their names into a google image search box. :)

      Delete
    2. No worries. I am familiar with the artists you mention. Love 'em!

      Delete
  2. Superb examples! I'll be checking out those links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new stripe piece Jane! My fav of the other artists you mention is Jylian Gustlin - I've been following her work for several years.
    Jennifer from Pender Harbour, BC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely lively stripes! Some of these images are reminiscent of the Gees Bend quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh YEAH! Something so compelling about the simplicity.

      Delete
  5. Like the examples, but esp. like the one on the bottom--I think because it lets my eyes relax while I look. The others have a lot of wawawa contrast--wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see all your uploads on Fine Art America!! I've got one now on my Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore these pieces - thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to have your engine! HA. Your drive to create is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!