Thursday, June 26, 2014

Back from Vacation

I've been away for a couple of weeks, visiting Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.  Fogo Island, off the north coast of Newfoundland, was one of our main destinations.  I will post about some of the artists, craftspeople, and inspiration I found there once I've had a chance to digest.  Meanwhile, back in the studio yesterday I encountered the familiar struggle of re-entry, so I decided to continue with the blind drawings.  It really is a great way to get something going.  Check out my previous post for links and suggestions, plus the video.  Here is the output:


This one has a depth and space that some of the others lack.  I want to pursue this today.







I am always thinking about teaching.  I get all enthusiastic about something that happens in the studio, and immediately my brain goes into Workshop Mode.  Anyone interested in doing this drawing thing as a workshop?  This is like Big Fat Art, only smaller.  "100 Drawings" in a six-week online class.  What do you think?

While on vacation, I found a few spaces that would be ideal for workshops.  One in La Have, Nova Scotia, one in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, and one on Fogo Island in Newfoundland. 
Newfoundland, with Fogo Island circled.

La Have is on the South Shore; Wolfville is a university town on the Bay of Fundy.

22 comments:

  1. So glad you're back Jane, and the blind drawing idea is nifty. Wonderful 'starts'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go any of those places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in this set! I would travel north for a class like this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. These are 9"x12". Just to be clear, GETTING to NS or NFLD can be a project. There is now a new ferry service from Portland, ME to Yarmouth, NS, which makes it relatively easy to get to Nova Scotia, though not at all cheap. To get to Newfoundland, there is another ferry from Cape Breton, then a seven-hour drive and another 45-minute ferry to Fogo Island. The journey is part of the deal. GORGEOUS, but long and it can be expensive. See http://novastarcruises.com/ and http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/

      Delete
  5. I like the online class idea, welcome home, sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane - I like the idea of the workshop '100 Drawings' - it brings to mind purposeful messiness. I also would love to go to Nova Scotia for a workshop - but truthfully it is unlikely I would travel so far. Unless, I could get my partner interested in coming - which could happen…

    And, I have tried a few times to send you a few photos of my current work and I can't figure out a good email address for this. Is there a way to send you a message?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie. My regular e-mail address doesn't work? jane@janedaviesstudios.com. I'd love to see what you are working on!

      Delete
  7. I like the 100 drawings idea. Also like the thought of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland; I should put it on my dream list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Online class sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Love the 100 drawings on line idea - or 52 - one for each week of the year...... Just another idea ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you are doing here Jane. Blind drawing is very intriguing and I am going to try it. Also like the idea of 100 drawings as an online class. Just not sure I could do that many!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea of a 100 drawings workshop ! Sounds like you had a great trip, hope you can post some photos... Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the 100 Blind Drawings online class idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back! I've missed your postings. I am getting excited about being in your workshop in Santa Fe. It's coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've wanted to go to Newfoundland - your workshop would be a great excuse! Also, I really like the idea of the 100 drawings class.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Online class - yes! 100 drawings - yes! Nova Scotia and Newfoundland? Sorry, but from here in the SE, too much time and money - and that is just a fact of life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane -- yes 100 drawings in 6 weeks -- sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This online class sounds just right for me. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sense of composition always blows me away. I find your Blog a source for inspiration. If I was not working full time I would take some of your classes. I love the idea of Newfoundland. since I live in land locked VT it would bring an entire new perspective.The beauty of that location and it's remote location cannot help to move your "feelings" in new ways and that always, at least for me, impacts my work.

    Dan Hurley
    artartedan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Newfoundland brought a new perspective to me, for sure. Glad you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  19. Hi Jane,

    I live in Newfoundland - just outside St. John's. I'm so excited about your visit and the prospect of you teaching here. That would be amazing - count me in!

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!