Saturday, January 29, 2022

A Deeper Dive: Working in Series

 "When you finish a series..." "When I work in series..." "Oh, maybe I will do a series..."

Do you ever not work in series? What is a series? How do you approach a series? Is working in series something special? Is it any different from just working? Do you plan to work in series? Do you plan the series? Often I wonder how other artists think of series when they treat it as something special, something separate from 'regular' work, or as if it is a finished-product goal. To me, the series is the unit of art making. I always approach my work as if I'm doing one of a hundred pieces with similar parameters, even if I stop at one. I have an idea, and I explore the idea over the course of a bunch of pieces. To me the series is the process of working through an idea.

Sometimes a series, or an idea, is pretty well defined, like this exploration of concentric circle/stripes:

Moving Target, Pilot, 20"x20"

Moving Targets, each 10"x10"

Moving Target #?, 36"x36", in process (partial)

Here is another group of "Shape Studies" that I did in a continuous time-frame (maybe not one session, but several successive sessions). The parameters for these are a little looser.

These are each 9"x9" on paper

And more "Shape Meditations" I did at a later date, but I would consider them part of the same series, in that they constitute a similar exploration. These are all 9"x12" on Bristol.




In the above two groups I am putting together shapes that are different from each other in several respects - size, color, value, pattern/texture - and seeing what kind of interesting negative space I can create.

I would love to hear your thoughts on working in series and what it means to you. Please comment. I check comments daily for 'moderation'. I need to do this because of a plethora of bot-generated spam. Thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

  1. Your latest series looks like people engaged in different activities. It's lighthearted. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a series. Usually 6, sometimes less. Paint and or collage or both. It is like a momentum gathers, two steps forward, a big slide back, then one sideways then stop. Go. It's a mystery where the next move comes from. I like how a theme develops and changes, morphs along to unexpected places. Experimental. Can only do that with more than one on the go. I also get to use up paint and finish up collage pieces! And they get reworked. Or paused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a fan of working in series! I have several on the go, and a few out in the wild, to be added to as needed. I agree with you: I enjoy exploring an idea through making a bunch of work. And yes, I've got a lone piece that hasn't found any buddies, as well as several pieces that span concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working in a series helps prevent “overloading” an artwork (putting everything you’ve got in there) because there’s always another.

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!