Thursday, January 31, 2019

Hearts on Video!

This is just a playful little video of me drawing and collaging simple heart images. I am finding this practice of making hearts a really good way to HAVE FUN in my studio, and I'm using it as a warm-up exercise. We discussed what it means to "have fun" making art, and the difference between doing it "just for fun" and doing it as a serious practice but finding it fun, in a previous post.

I realized that I didn't have a particular thing I go to when I want to relax a bit and just play around with materials in my studio. When I've been away from the studio for a bit and feel a bit rusty, I do have some really low-pressure practices that get me back in the flow, but there had not been one particular focus. The heart image might just be it. It could be something else - a landscape, a circle, a grid, a drawing of my cat or the view out the back window. But there is something just silly enough - cliché and sentimental - about the heart that keeps it from getting the least bit serious. See more of my hearts on Fine Art America.

So, here is the video. Miche Fambro has kindly allowed me to use his music.


14 comments:

  1. Ah, Jane,
    You make me smile. You inspire me!
    Thanks so much : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wonkiness of the hearts keeps them from being too sentimental, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a fun challenge: try to make heart images that are not cliché and sentimental. Hearts that express a sombre mood, something like that.

      Delete
  3. Fun! I like it when I can tell the artist is having fun! ;o)


    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a Happy February and a Happy Valentine's Day, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to send the video to my Sweetheart for Valentine's Day!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun!! Last year on V day I was teaching in Portland, OR, and I sent a teeny tiny video to my sweetie of me drawing one heart.

      Delete
  6. Lots of fun to watch - and to do, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Jane, thank you... how fun, spontaneous, unscripted, creative and heart filled. The perfect Feb 1 gift - be well ! Be warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait a second, are you ambidextrous?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wondered....are you left or right handed? Ambidextrous? Or do you use both your dominant and non-dominant hand for effect?
    Love these hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Ellen and Sopranomom, I am ambidextrous in a VERY limited realm, which includes drawing really loosely like this. Lefty for writing, right dominant for everything else.

      Delete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!