Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Drawing The Line

Often in my art practice I circle back to fundamental elements:  line, shape, color, for example.  I occasionally bust out and go all over the map, but then come back to simple formats in my paintings too: grid, stripes, stacked shapes.  Returning frequently to elements, basics, foundations, seems to be a recurring theme.  Here is a little video on drawing lines.  It can be a very meditative process, drawing lines, each one an individual expression.  No fancy materials or techniques, all very accessible.  For more on lines and color, see my posts on using crayonsHere's another one.


This is white Tulip Fabric Paint on black painted cheap drawing paper.

Latex house paint, drizzled with a paint stirrer

Line Conversation

Layered Lines and Scribbles

Layered lines including big juicy painted scribbles

More big juicy scribbles with paint, then some graphite and finally the Tulip Fabric Paint out of a squeeze bottle

Another line conversation
You will ask about materials:  Caran d'Ache Neocolor II water soluble crayons; graphite crayons; pitt pens/markers; ordinary pencils; acrylic paint, Tulip Fabric Paint (available at JoAnn's and places like that), latex interior house paint, cheap drawing paper.  Most of these are on my Favorite Materials Page.  Try it; have fun!

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your videos! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always a good thing to be mindful of the marks you are making. A lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!