Wednesday, January 2, 2013

More Big Fat Art and a few more Verticals

Just thought I would show you a few things that I'm working on now.  As you can see, I've limited the color and vocabulary, and seem to be working out a few ideas over the course of lots and lots of pieces. This is just a sampling.  These are all either 18"x24" or 19.5"x25.5". 







The 18"x24" are on my all-purpose Cheap Drawing Paper, and the slightly larger ones are on Canson drawing paper, which I've just discovered.  It holds up to a lot, but is still pretty light weight.  For the "keepers", I coat the back with matte medium.  Then the paper lies a bit flatter.  For paint, I am using Blick Matte Acrylics for black, white, and neutrals, and bits of Golden Fluid Acrylics for some colors. 

Here are a few more of the vertical pieces, all of which are 7"x22" on printmaking paper:




Drawing materials on all of the above include Pitt pens, Caran d'Ache NeoColor II crayons, and a few graphite sticks and pencils.  Nothing too fancy. 

My online classes Unlocking the Secrets of Color and Exploring the Self-Portrait are both beginning next week, and are filling up fast.  I'll open the blogs later today so people can start posting their introductions.  I love this part of online workshops!  My Extreme Composition class got so much enthusiasm that we've begun Extreme Composition 2, open only to those who took the first class.  It is more like a group discussion forum where everyone sets her own goals and everyone supports each other.  It is off to a fabulous start!  Extreme Composition will be offered again starting in April.

10 comments:

  1. Jane- I flippin' love where you are right now with your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am definitely having fun with these new formats.

      Delete
  2. " I coat the back with matte medium. Then the paper lies a bit flatter." Thanks for the tip, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your verticals are very enticing!
    Thanks for the "stay flat" suggestion. Warping and wrinkling problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane do you ever put these on a heavier substrate like canvas? If so what do you use to attach them with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm working only on paper. I do have a tutorial on how to mount works on paper to wood panels (look under Tutorials on this blog). I just feel a lot freer working on paper. Some day maybe I'll grow up and work on big canvas!

      Delete
  5. I do love the new verticals you've been working on. The big bold ones are always stunning, but the tall skinny ones are fresh and exciting. The brighter colors feel like something new, and they work!

    Hope to be unpacked and ready to come back to the "classroom" in April. This move has taken way longer than I'd anticipated, but progress is being made. I really appreciate your blog posts - they keep me focussed.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would just like to say I love your work. I am a K-12 Art teacher and I work in mostly clay and fiber. Bravo keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!