Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ink Doodles

This month's theme on the Sketchbook Challenge is Doodling, so I've been challenging my own thoughts on the topic. You may have seen my post on Collage Doodles on the Sketchbook Challenge.


I particularly liked Lyric Kinard's post in which she raises the question: is it a doodle or a sketch? I question the value of doodling when you know where you are going with it. If your goal is to fill in a particular shape with a particular repeated mark, then where is the effort? Where is the challenge that brings you someplace new? I wouldn't claim that this is not valuable at all - it may be soothing, calming, and relaxing, and thus have therapeutic value - but you get a lot more bang for your creative buck when you don't know where you are going, and you "doodle" to find out.

Off my soap box now, here is a video on how I did a couple of ink doodles:



Here is the ink doodle over collage in the first example:


And then I wrecked it with some paint. I mean, I like the original one better, but this is my sketchbook and I am trying new stuff. At some point I will add more to this page, but that's not important now.


And here is the second example from the video:

This ink doodle was done over a long forgotten page in my sketchbook. Looks like and abandoned random collage.

And after playing around with a bit of paint:

Go to The Sketchbook Challenge to see more examples of my ink doodles, and check out the other posts about doodling.

15 comments:

  1. I really like this idea of responding to the serendipity of the ink's flow. I like the results, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the video, I liked both, the ink alone, and the ink with colour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane:
    I love this process and can hardly wait to play with it..gotta go buy pipettes.
    Is there a way you can make your videos louder and also increase the screen size. I can do it on other videos like YouTube , etc. I would like to view in larger scale and not strain so to hear (yes my volume & yours is at full throttle)!
    pat q

    ReplyDelete
  4. about above comment...i must be getting older!!
    kind of funny.......
    pat q

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video, I loved watching you create the inky goodness. I now have to have a go at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fabulous blog, you have some amazing pieces of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! I've been involved with a toddler and a six-year-old for a few days and just had a chance and a need to start to catch up. I love the randomness and heft of the ink lines, and seeing your collage pages unadorned makes me want to go back to the experiment-with-shapes stage I abandoned temporarily to focus on other things. Both the finished and "unfinished" pieces are fabulous! (And - joining you on your soapbox, a doodle is NOT a sketch. So there.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning results....love the use of the straw to give that feathery effect !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your ink doodles..beautiful work. xlynda

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so fun. The trick with the straw is genius. I am tucking this away in my brain. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did like first ink doodle better unpainted, but the next one looked better painted!! Sometimes that is the hardest part - knowing when you are done, and it is time to stop. Is there any art technique you don't do, Jane?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love this. Drippage is the best. Hey, can you use Digital Grounds also, instead of the Encaustic Gesso? Did you like the outcome of each?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jane! This is the coolest doodle idea...I already put some of mine up on flickr...right on! cc

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this so much! Look - I tried my hand at it too - http://msmathey.blogspot.com/2012/03/pdcc125-jane-davies-inspired.html

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!