Friday, May 13, 2011

Compositional Studies - Cruciform Series

For this Friday Tutorial I'm going to show you my process in exploring a common compositional format, the "cruciform". Which merely means a cross shape. The areas that form the arms of the cross are generally busy, whereas the four quadrants are relatively quiet.

In my upcoming online workshop, "Keys to Dynamic Composition", we begin by looking at the bare bones of what makes a good composition: Unity and Variety. Then we look at the elements and principles of composition and how you can use them to create both unity and variety, through the lens of various compositional formats, including the cruciform, the abstract landscape, repeating shapes, and more.

Working in series is a way to explore an idea and try out different expressions of that idea. It also helps you to get in a groove and loosen up. For this series, the idea is Cruciform. I vary the collage materials, the colors, and the arrangements, but the all tell me something about this compositional format.

One way of approaching collage painting is to start with a painting, then add collage elements. In this series I began with collage, and then tried to unify each collage arrangement using acrylic paint, obscuring much of the collage beneath.

Below are the Before and After versions of each collage.




15 comments:

  1. Love it! thanks for sharing your process :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sooooo enjoyed this post. Just in time!!! I am working on a cruciform composition at present. Thanks Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, thank you so much for sharing this...it really helps to see your process.

    I just signed up for you composition class...can't wait for it to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this helpful and informative blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bold simplicity, love these. Looks to be a great class. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was fascinating to witness the transformation from layout to integration; from the complicated to the simplified (in a way)--the unification of random chaos? I like every example you set out here. I haven't worked much with the cruciform and you've definitely inspired me to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMAZING collages!
    Thank you for sharing your process.
    I LOVE your work!

    So glad I found you through the miz kate dot com Artist blog hop!
    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane you are kidding...Frederick B. lives up the street from you??? Do you ever sit and have chats???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Jane! I learn so much from all the talent in these blogs. It is so kind of you to share yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made my own collage with a cruciform layout after seeing your series. :)

    http://marciabeckett.blogspot.com/2011/05/personal-collage.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks - so helpful and especially to see the before/after versions. I'm inspired to try that form in my own collages....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the process, Jane....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm I haven't done this. It does look interesting. Do you use the finished cruciform as a back ground, to then but other things on or is this it? Thank you for getting my mind ticking

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of your pieces! Thank you for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And here we are in 2017 and I have benefitted from your generous sharing of process. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!