Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Out on a limb some more

I've just done a few more pages in my sketchbook where I'm out on a limb. "Branching Out - Out on a Limb" is this month's theme for the Sketchbook Challenge. I was experimenting with layers and cut outs, not aiming for anything in particular, but just pushing these elements around. None of these is a "piece", but rather a page, a question, a "what if?" I discover so much when I work in my sketchbook with no expectation of a "finished" page or piece. It's quite freeing.

On this page I used a cut out of a bottle over a cut out of a modified circle; layers of acrylic paint in varying degrees of opacity, applied with a brayer and brush; some painted tissue paper; a scrap from my work table paper (the paper I lay down under my work). Oh, and charcoal.


On this page I first layered some collage: scraps of book pages, handwriting, a few things like that. Then paint over cut outs; the bottle form as a silhouette; I removed some of the collage, added more. Just a playful back and forth to see what happens if...


This one is the more "composition" - like. I was experimenting with layers, and also playing with this compositional format - the abstract landscape, turned almost cruciform.

That's it. Just showing a few of my recent experimental pages. Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

  1. I really like these pages. You make me want to get into the studio and experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your experiments are beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only my play days turned out like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful design, texture and contrast. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the first and last pics... just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely examples; I especially like the first result

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work! Love the top one especially!

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!