Thursday, August 6, 2020

Time to Paint

Do you ever time your painting sessions?

In my workshop Time to Paint, we engage in exercises that require you to paint (or collage or make marks) continuously, without hesitation, for a given segment of time. These range from 20 seconds to 30 minutes, and we do a LOT of them.

I have found that given a limited time to create a compelling image or visual statement, the brain has to get out of the way, and I have to make visual decision more quickly and intuitively. We begin with fairly directed exercises, with specific parameters, then move on to open ended timed painting.

This workshop is an opportunity to give your visual response a workout (and your brain a rest). You will also have time to work on the images generated by the timed experiments, and see how the exercises have affected the fluidity of your process. 

I am offering Time to Paint as a live stream workshop on Zoom, through Port Townsend School of the Arts, September 8 - 10. No travel necessary, work from you own studio! Space is limited. Take a look at the specifics, and sign up here.

Three pieces, 19"x25", on my wall, after a thirty-minute painting session
A group of five-minute paintings, each 9"x12" on cheap drawing paper

Check out the workshop here. Or try timed paintings on your own!

5 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I'm so glad I did your earlier workshops. The cost of this one translates into over AUD$600 which is waaaaay beyond my reach. Bet it still fills up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did the same calculation Jo. NZ$670 . . . beyond my means as well but I bet it’s worth every cent. I did an earlier workshop too but I was working full time and could afford it then. I love the quality of Jane’s teaching!

      Delete
    2. OK, I am going to have to offer a special live-stream workshop for people on your part of the planet. I think that could work..... if I scheduled it for 4:00 AM local (my) time, you could join me in the early evening. Or if I do it at 6:00 PM, it would be morning the next day for you. I like the second option. We could first try a zoom chat/show-and-tell. Show me what you are working on....

      Delete
    3. That is incredibly generous of you to even think of offering a suitable time for people in New Zealand and Australia Jane as I’m sure you have many people following your work in both places. For both Jo and I it was primarily the cost although timing was an issue. I’m not sure about Jo however I’m retired and simply cannot afford it. I shall simply continue to appreciate watching your YouTube videos.
      Cheers, Wendy

      Delete
    4. What I was thinking was to offer something MUCH less expensive, for those of you on the other side of the planet. Or just some kind of conversation via zoom that isn't a workshop, just for fun. Let me see if I can get a list of my contacts from New Zealand, Australia, and New Caledonia and send something out. THANKS to you and Jo for putting this thought in my head.

      Delete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!