Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Orange

The last few days I've been trying to get back into a groove of painting. With studio construction back underway and various other projects I'm working on, painting has taken a lower position on my priority list. Building momentum always takes time, and can be frustrating. I flailed around for a while, and then decided to go back to something that feels reasonably comfortable.

As a workshop assignment I often do my Complementary Colors exercise. Here are a couple of  examples, which are 10"x10":


Achieving as much variety as I can within one color is a great exercise, and it helps me focus. So I decided to play with orange on top of "works in progress" (which means works that have been hanging around, unfinished, for a while and need an injection of drama). The following pieces are 20"x20" on panel:



The colors I've used here are:
  • Vat Orange
  • Pyrrole Orange
  • Transparent Pyrrole Orange
  • Cadumium Orange 
  • Dairilyde Yellow
  • Azo Yellow
  • Hansa Yellow
  • WHITE
Plus Caran d'Ache NeoColorII crayons.

13 comments:

  1. I love the one with just that little touch of blue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them all, and orange anytime. I was married for 33 years and my go to color was navy & browns and their variations. After and since my color has been orange, Go figure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pieces!! We all have our technique( tricks?) to focus and get back into painting after a break. I always like to hear how other artists are doing it. I've always noticed that for me, tackling works in progress, is just a no-go! It paralyses me. What works better is working on something specific and "simple" (like working on colour variation).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. It would be interesting to hear others' favorite approaches to getting back into the studio.

      Delete
  4. Very helpful indeed, as I have been stuck too.
    Many thanks Jane. Couldn't do without you. Best wishes for a creative summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jane, I have degrees in Fine Art, Art ED, Spec. I had been an exhibiting artist and teacher. Six years ago I experienced a traumatic auto accident, injuring my hand, leaving me with chronic pain, side effects from that, and physical damage. Since then I have not picked up a brush or pencil.
    Is there anything that you have done to unblock that may help me?
    Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jane, I have degrees in Fine Art, Art ED, Spec. I had been an exhibiting artist and teacher. Six years ago I experienced a traumatic auto accident, injuring my hand, leaving me with chronic pain, side effects from that, and physical damage. Since then I have not picked up a brush or pencil.
    Is there anything that you have done to unblock that may help me?
    Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also provide analytical services and laboratory services to our customers. Vat Orange 9

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work and your attitude toward your work and toward all art is so inspiring. After retiring from my 20 years at hard labor in a blue collar job I need to eat, sleep,and breathe affirmations of creativity. I have always loved oranges with blues! Your blog is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I especially love the orange paintings with touches of blue. I think your last exercise in B & W with clear parameters would be a great way to break the deadlock. It could also be adapted to use two colours only - analgous or complementary.

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!