Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Wax Day

Yesterday I spent the day at Jeri McDonald's studio doing small encaustic paintings on paper. I haven't done encaustic in a while, and it was great to get back to it.
5"x5" (they are all 5"x5"), encaustic and oil paint on 300# paper

5"x5", encaustic and oil paint on 300# paper

This one is unresolved.

This one is barely started, but I love the line work.

This one is not done, but close.

Jeri's palette

My palette

Jeri's piece, which I bought last spring, 5"x5"

Another of Jeri's, 5"x5"

My favorite suppliers of encaustic materials and tools are R&F Paints and Enkaustikos.  Enkaustikos offers anodized aluminum plates that you can put on your pancake griddle and create a better heated palette (more even heat than the pancake griddle alone).  The light aluminum surface is nice if you are working with color.  Jeri works exclusively with the pancake griddle, as she works mostly in black, white, and neutrals.  I use R&F's heated palette

I LOVE working with another artist or small group of artists.  Somehow, chatting while working provides just enough distraction to not get too hung up on the frustrations of making art.  The obvious advantage is getting another pair of eyes on your work.  It was a really fun day, and I hope we can do it again soon. 

22 comments:

  1. Wow, Jane ~ your encaustics are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a fun medium, and it takes a lot of effort...BUT it is well worth it!
    The works are so cool! I love the 1st one, best. Merry Christmas = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I were there, learning how to do encaustic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all! What great work......

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to try cod wax next, if you have not already done so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. It's my short attention span that keeps me from cold wax and oil. They take so long to dry. But I will look for a workshop or something so I can try it and see. Cod wax might be interesting....

      Delete
    2. I would be interested in suggestions for resources re: using cold wax and oils.

      Delete
    3. A whole different thing from encaustic, but here is the best resource I know for cold wax and oil:

      http://www.coldwaxpainting.com/coldwax.html

      Delete
  6. That second painting of your's really speaks to me and I'm not one for hot colors most of the time. I am tempted to try encaustic some time - maybe next year :) Thanks for all your sharing about supplies and process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think the actual painting is less bright. I may have over done the color/brightness balance when editing the images. If you try encaustic, I recommend you take a class, even a short workshop. Really helps to have hands-on guidance at first. Once you get that, you can learn a lot more from books and videos.

      Delete
  7. Encaustic is so luscious I'd really love to try it.....but do I really need MORE stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorites of yours are always ones that have a pop of red, and these are no exception although they are all just fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As electricity is so expensive where i am currently living and a pancake griddle uses 2000w I have two leg waxing pots, 1 white and 1 clear which use 100w each and add colour with oil paint or dry pigment. As for cold wax I just have multiple pieces going at the same time so the wait for things to dry is not such an issues

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jane , not sure if this was posted further up . Is encaustic process on paper any different when using board or wood as substrate ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I do use 300# paper, as lighter weight paper doesn't stay flat. I will, then, mount the paper pieces on wood panel, and wax the edges of the panel for presentation.

      Delete
  11. ohhh lovely. have not yet tried wax

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Watching, cheap laugh, asics tiger mexico 66 sale he laughed himself worry too much, not Ganaiganhen. cheap, you have people like you. Cheap Asics Running Shoes cheap want asics gel lyte iii sale to tell the truth, but that is not appropriate, at this time of the confession can only end Cheap Asics Running Shoes in failure. This question will be back, but saw cheap stood up, quietly watching Asics Australia Online Cheap Asics Running Shoes the night sky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work. I agree about working with other artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ditto to this! I agree about working with other artists who are supportive and fun...

      Delete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!