Thursday, July 3, 2014

Stacks of Shapes

In my Big Fat Art workshops one of the "tools" we use is shape.  So I demonstrate a bunch of simple ways to make shapes.  Here are a few.

This is sort of a continuation of my 9"x12" Cheap Drawing Paper pieces that I've blogged about here, here, and here.  These are ways to get started, get the ball rolling.  In general, working with a simple set of parameters that does not include making a masterpiece or even a finished piece of art, is a great way to keep your Inner Critic in her place. 

I left most of these pieces as is, but took most of them a step further.  They are just little shape studies, and are meant to generate ideas and engage the visual/intuitive piece of my brain.  See my finished pieces (well, some are in process) based on shapes here.


I had fun adding a little pattern to this one.

This is the collage example in the video.

I gave it some fog.

This one isn't in the video


The scribble/stenciled shapes here look like sheep to me.


Playing with fog and some solid flat space

Last demo piece in the video with stuff added

And then some more stuff.
 I have a Pinterest board of shapes showcasing pieces from many different artists in which shape is a primary element.  Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

  1. Great demo...as always I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I enjoyed the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video is exceptionally inspiring! Wow, I learned a lot in these 6 minutes....I am very much looking forward to your coming online class (which I've already signed up for).
    Thank you for such a great video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently studying Design and Stitched Textiles and have found your site really inspirational! I have shared the link with my fellow students via my blog...thank you again.

    http://katephilbin.wordpress.com/2014/08/22/module-2-thinking-about-shape/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane thanks you for sharing your great tips best ashar

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!